Saturday, June 10, 2006

I'm an American ambassador now!!! And it's a good thing!!!

I should start this post (which I am frantically writing because 55 of my fellow trainees are also waiting to use this computer) by saying MOM: if you read this before tonight, talk to Jess - there is a PCV with a cell phone who is going to text you a number and a time to call me tonight (it will be in Zambian time - 6 hours ahead).

Okay, so we flew into Lusaka yesterday (via an evening at a swanky Johannesburg hotel). I had some of the best luck ever because I sat on the flight next to a Zambian named Paul who happens to do Monitoring and Evaluation for the Zambian National AIDS Council. So, he hooked me up with some contact numbers and gave me some great ideas. So that was serindipidous (I'm not going to pretend I know how to spell that right now).

We are staying at this place called Eureka Campground on the outskirts of Lusaka. They have giraffes and zebras that wander free, haven't seen them yet, but there are tons, and I'll see them tonight.

I have now had 6 vacinations in the last few days. So, I'm now vaccinated against yellow fever, measles, mumps, rhubella, polio, rabies, meningitis, and to top it all off -- a typhoid shot in my bum. I'm also taking mefloquine (the malaria prophylaxis that gives you crazy dreams) and doxycycline to build up my resistance to malaria parasites. We got this crazy medical kit today. I think, given the proper training, I should be able to do open heart surgery with all the stuff they've given us.

I've also come to realize that the Peace Corps is going to take amazing care of us while we're here, and probably forever. So, that's a great feeling. We met the second-in-command guy (Andy) from the U.S. Embassy in Lusaka this morning and he was really inspirational. He should have given his speech at the end of the day, cuz now I'm feeling really drained and could use a pep-talk.

Tomorrow I leave on my first site visit until Thursday. I'm going with two other girls to a site in Luapula province (an 8 - 10 hour drive). I'll start learning Bemba while I am there and that will hopefully get me a site placement in either Copperbelt, Central, or Luapula province.

Anyway, that's my news thus far. I'm having a wonderful time despite being busy every minute and being really tired. Everyone is amazing here. It is great and I'm so psyched to start training in about a week.

So much love to you all. Send me mail!!! Hugs and Smooches,

LIBBY

2 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear libby,
you're the best. i'm so glad you're safe & having fun...and GIRAFFES!!!!! you must send me giraffe pictures!!!

i miss you so much...and a care package will be on its way to you ASAP. xo andee.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger LIBBY said...

Andee! You're the best. I've been reading up on bike repairs. My inginga will thank you!!!

Lots of love,
LIBBY

 

Post a Comment

<< Home