Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hey everybody!

Another Saturday afternoon off. Another trip to Kitwe. Another tasty schwarma and a cold soda. (I know, I don't even drink it in the States, here it is way tastier. They use real cane sugar or something.)

I can't wait for training to be over so I can get to my site! We're definitely wrapping up our training. We had a mock LOPI (Language Oral Proficiency Interview) yesterday and I did better than expected. We need to get at least an intermediate low to pass and swear in as volunteers on August 14. I scored an intermediate mid and I was pretty psyched to have at least passed. It was hysterical because my language trainer, Ba Evans, asked me all of these questions that I can't even answer in English: Why aren't you married? Why don't you want to have children? Do you like George Bush? and why? What is culture? (which Sean Robb can tell you I don't know the answer to that one in English). It was actually a fun test and not as terrifying as I expected it to be. We have the real test on Wednesday. So you can cross your fingers and think good thoughts for me bonse (everyone).

So tonight we're going back to Mwekera (the training center) for Cultural Night. I think we're supposed to make up some kind of culutral presentation to share with the group, but I also think it is just an excuse to have a volleyball tournament and an impala roast (relax, it's an antelope, not a car).

Yesterday I learned to make eighteen different things from soya beans. They're a magical food. Zambians grow them and sell them, but they don't really cook them. So we learned a bunch of ways to take advantage of their deliciousness and nutritiousness. We made soya burgers, soya snacks, soya coffee, soy milk, and a porridge made with soya flour (all of which we pounded ourselves). It was tasty and I learned a lot. I'll definitely be growing some soya on Old McLibby's farm. (I got the blueprints for my chicken coop . . . I'm not kidding.)

Right so. I'm going to be on Zambian television. Our swearing in ceremony is televised and Ba Evans has decided that all of his trainees should be in a skit. So, we'll be performing a skit muciBemba (in Bemba) on ZNBC. I'd like to thank the academy in advance. I'm terrible at acting and I hate roleplays, but I'll give it my best effort and hopefully not mess up in front of the entire country. I think I got the easy role anyway.

I'm pretty pumped about being here. Still excited by everything around me. I came to Zambia thinking I was going to tough it out and if I hated it I knew I could leave. I never expected I would love it. I love it. If my life in the village is half as much fun as I am having in training I'll be totally thrilled. At least once a day I have this total feeling of serindipity. If only there were tasty sushi (which, by the way means farting muciBemba) and Thai food here, I'd be psyched. My friend Lea and I like to play the lets-go-get-some-Thai-food-from-that-place-on-the-corner game. I won't miss nshima when I get to site. I'll be so psyched to cook for myself and to have an herb garden.

Okay everyone. I miss you all tons. Tad, was that email you sent me for real? Are you really quitting your job to travel for three months? You know you can't visit me until at least mid-October. (Sorry to put your business on the street like that.) I like you.

I like you all. I hope everyone is well. Stay out of Phoenix, that's the only American news I've heard from here. Well, that and that Manchester United is playing in Chicago.

Jessica, I'm practicing how to say "my sister is pregant and will be having a baby on September 8th" in Bemba for my test on Wednesday. Without my notes in front of me I think it something like: Bankashi bandi bali mfumo na bakalakwata umwana pa September cinekonsekonse.

Smooches everyone. I like you.
Love,
LIBBY

1 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Libs, I got your card reader today and Annette and I are going to share an express package to send you some things at the Mansa address. Anxious to hear how your language test went on Wednesday ... and even more excited to hear about your swearing-in ceremony ... we all wish we were there to witness it.
Hugs and smooches. We like you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home