Sunday, September 17, 2006

In Limbo

Hey Everybody,

Well. I was supposed to be on my way back to the village today, but I am in financial limbo. I haven't been paid, so I have to stay in Mansa until that happens.

I thought of some more random stuff I can tell you about my site.

I have a whole lot of children at my house whenever I am home. They like to stare at me. Capwa (Chop-wa - It means that's all, or it's finished). They also like to mimic everything I say in English or in Bemba. The unfortunate thing is that they don't listen to what I say. They don't go away when I ask them to and they only listen when threatened with violence. In fact a friend of my neighbors came with a shovel the other day and they all went running. I refuse to threaten violence, so they don't listen to me. My new tactic is to tell the headwoman when they're bothering me. (For instance, when they try to climb into my window to touch my bike.) They have to listen to her. My even newer tactic is to tell them that they're not allowed to sit and stare at me. If they want to play in my yard that is fine, but they can't sit and stare at me. So, it worked the other day. They played some games and danced a little and when they were sick of entertaining themselves they left. It was beautiful. I've now been away for a few days, I don't know how this will affect the "iwe" situation. "Iwe" means "you" in Bemba, without respect. So a lot of Peace Corps Volunteers call the children "iwes" when they're doing obnoxious things (like repeating everything I say and showing me no respect).

A lot of the children have never seen a white person before. I didn't think it was really possible, but indeed for some of the children in my village I am the first white person they've seen up close. I've made a few children terrified. They scream their heads off. I try to say "cilifye" (chill-ee-fee-ay - it means "it's alright"), but they keep screaming. I have to just walk away. Their mothers always think it is funny. I have also had kids try to touch me, as if to see if I am real. Others touch my arm and rub it to see if the white will come off. It's pretty interesting. I usually just do it back to them (which frequently freaks them out).

Well. I think that's good. The price of Internet has gone back up. Sadly.

I miss and love you all. Be well and check out my photos, a bunch are new even since yesterday.

Hugs & Smooches,

LIBBY


2 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Libby-

I was talking with your mom today, She is trying to get a hold of you via phone.
You have a beautiful niece. She was born Sept. 21st at 7:53pm.

Hope all is well.
Love, Lisa

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger ray said...

libby,

those darn iwes...miss you, see you at ist!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home